Beginning August 15, 2012, certain individuals who were brought to the United States as children are able to apply for permission to stay in the country and receive employment authorization. This process is called deferred action.

What is Deferred Action?
When someone receives Deferred Action (DA) it means that the U.S. government knows that the person is here without legal status, but that government has decided not to deport them. This option is available for people who can prove that they:
• Entered the U.S. before their 16th birthday;
• Were under the age of 31 on June 15, 2012;
• Have lived in the U.S. since June 15, 2007;
• Were physically present in the United States on June 15, 2012;
• Entered the U.S. without inspection OR had a valid status that expired before June 15, 2012;
• Are currently in school, already graduated from high school or received their GED, or were honorably discharged from the U.S. military;
• Have not been convicted of certain crimes; and
• Do not pose a threat to national security or public safety.

When and how can I apply?
Applications for deferred action can be submitted to the government beginning August 15, 2012. Requests submitted before then will be rejected. There are two (2) specific forms that need to be completed and sent to USCIS, however, they have not yet been released. The application fee for Deferred Action and Employment Authorization is $465.00.

What should I do now?
If you would like to discuss moving forward with an application for deferred action, please schedule a consultation with our office at your earliest convenience. In the meantime, please collect evidence showing that you meet the factors listed above, especially your presence in the United States on June 15, 2012. Finally, do not leave the United States or you will likely become ineligible for deferred action.

For more information please see


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s